Alfa Laval PANX-series of decanter centrifuges is designed for palm oil clarification and purification.The units offer maximum oil recovery with low energy consumption.
High performance Alfa Laval PANX three-phase decanters are purpose designed for processing crude palm oil. They offer efficient, reliable separation of liquid, dry solids (cake) and oil for maximum oil recovery with minimum oil losses. The range includes low, medium and high capacity decanters suitable for oil mills from 30 to approximately 90 tons of fresh fruit bunches (FFB) per hour.
- Critical parts made from wear-resistant material
- New control system, Basic Core Controller*, that makes it easy to upscale and downscale production capacity
- New, controlled variable back drive (VBD) system* that makes operation simple with easy control and optimization of the dryness level of the solids phases
- Compact, modular design
*available for most models
- High performance combined with low energy consumption
- Improved separation of palm oil in a cost-efficient way
- Low power consumption thanks to an innovative liquid outlet design (up to 30% lower than with conventional outlet design)
- Improved solids dryness, leading to lower costs for drying or disposal
- Increased capacity with same or less space requirement, for a smaller investment
- Simple installation, easy maintenance.
Hoe het werkt
In the Alfa Laval PANX three-phase decanter the palm oil product is fed into the bowl and accelerated by a special two-port inlet distributor. Centrifugal force causes instant sedimentation of the dry solids on the wall of the bowl, and the liquid phases – heavy phase (water) and light phase (oil) – separate in layers.
The conveyor, rotating in the same direction as the bowl but at a different speed, moves the solids to the conical end of the decanter. Here, the solids are lifted clear of the liquid and centrifugally dewatered before discharge into the collecting vessel.
The clarified liquids overflow into the decanter’s casing through an opening in the cylindrical end of the bowl. Both phases leave the collecting compartments in the hood by gravity flow through outlets under the machine.
Innovative liquid outlet design
In Alfa Laval PANX decanters an innovative liquid outlet design reduces power consumption (up to 30% lower than with conventional outlet design). The control system, Basic Core Controller*, makes it easy to upscale and downscale capacity.
In all Alfa Laval PANX three-phase decanters the bowl is driven towards the conical end piece by an electric motor and V-belt transmission. Power is transferred to the conveyor via a planetary gearbox.
The speed difference is controlled in different ways, depending on the decanter type:
- Alfa Laval PANX CS decanters feature a countershaft transmission, where pulleys can be changed manually to optimize the differential speed
- Alfa Laval PANX VFD decanters are equipped with an automatic back drive system for the main motor. By measuring torque the VFD system optimizes the differential speed without changing belts or pulleys for an overall reduction of the power consumption.
Control systems – process optimization
with Basic Core Controller (BCC)
Alfa Laval PANX decanters with variable frequency drive (VFD) are delivered with the Basic Core Controller (BCC) system. This control package is capable of fully controlling the decanter operation, including liquid clarification, solid dryness level, adjustment of process differential speed, automatic solid load and feed of incoming material.
The BCC control system ensures efficient performance and keeps the cost for installation, commissioning, operation and maintenance to a minimum. It is also designed to measure bearing temperature and to monitor the vibration levels.
Alfa Laval PANX decanters with Basic Core Controller can be adjusted to suit specific process requirements by varying:
- Bowl speed to obtain the G-force required for the most efficient separation
- Pond depth in the bowl for optimum balance between liquid and oil clarification, while at the same time optimizing the solids dryness
- Conveyor speed for most efficient balance to ensure minimum wear from abrasive solids
- Feed rate to handle a wide range of different flows when operating on various types of solids and oil contents.
Alfa Laval PANX CS decanters that have countershaft transmission are equipped with the Star-delta start-up system as standard.